Anime Music Video (AMV) Contest
Entries will be judged in the categories of Best Trailer (pending enough entries), Drama, Action, and Comedy/Dance/Upbeat. Awards will be given for the best entry in each category, a single Best in Show, and there will likely be Judge's Choice Awards as well.
The entries will be screened and judged prior to the convention. We will only show as many videos as can be fit into the time period allotted to us.
The winners will be announced and awards given out and the winning entries re-played at a special panel on Sunday of the convention.
If you would prefer to enter your video for exhibition purposes only, please indicate so on your entry form. Please take note that exhibition videos may be cut due to time restraints. Anime Detour staff members must enter under this category.
Please note that there is limited available space for contestants. Submitting an entry does not guarantee that your AMV will be shown during the contest.
- All entries must be received IN ADVANCE by March 1, 2016. Absolutely no entries will be accepted after this date.
- Each contestant is limited to one entry.
- If you are a part of a studio with multiple members, we will accept entries from each individual studio member. Each studio member is allowed one video entry.
- Each entry per member will require a separate entry form.
- The contest will only accept digital submissions (no VHS). These submissions must meet the following digital criteria:
- Entries must be stand alone data files on either CD(s) or DVD(s). We will not accept authored (playable) DVDs.
- Files may be AVI, MPEG, MP4 or WMV. Other formats, such as Realmedia or Quicktime, will be rejected. Our preferred format is MP4. If we cannot read your video file, your video will be disqualified.
- Video files may be spanned across multiple discs if needed using either ZIP or RAR.
- Video bumpers (intro/outtro/credits) are acceptable but they should be as short as possible. Videos with bumpers that exceed 10 seconds total will be disqualified.
- All videos must be less than 5 minutes in length total, including bumpers.
- Anime Detour is a family friendly convention, and as such, videos should not contain any sexual nudity (hentai), excessive violence, or particularly offensive materials. This includes profanity or other offensive audio (song lyrics and other audio used). This exact determination is up to the Anime Detour AMV Contest director. If you believe your video may violate or come close to violating this rule, please contact the contest director for more details using the contact information given below.
- At least 70% of footage used in your entry must be Japanese animation or it may be subject to disqualification. (Note: We are no longer accepting Avatar: The Last Airbender videos.)
- We will only accept work by the original author. Your real name, address, and signature are required when filling out the entry form.
- Entries submitted to other contests may be accepted. However, a video will not be eligible if it has won at a previous contest/convention.
- We encourage videos that have been created within the last year. Older videos, however may also be accepted.
- Entries will not be returned. Please make sure that you send us a copy of your work and not the original.
- Print out the entry form and make sure to include it with your submission package. Please label your CD and/or DVD on the outside of the disc with your name.
- Any entry not following these rules is subject to disqualification.
NOTE: Anyone may enter the contest, but judging will be heavily-weighted towards entrants who are either local to Minnesota and its surrounding states and/or are registered for and attending Anime Detour. Prizes will not be mailed outside the country, sorry.
Submitting Your Entry
You may now submit your entry by either postal mail or digital download!
To enter via postal mail, use the form below and mail your entry to the address provided.
To submit your entry digitally, send a link to the download of your entry along with a copy of the completed entry form below to the AMV Coordinator.
Digitally submitted entries must be received by 11:59pm CST on the date of the contest deadline.
Please note that Anime Detour cannot provide webspace for you to upload your entry. If you do not have webspace of your own to utilize, we can accept links from free services such as Sendspace or Mediafire.